Google's Shocking Study | Hard Disk Reliability

Ever been a victim of a failed hard disk?

I have .. and its not a pretty sight

Had not my HDD monitoring s/w warned me about the impending failure I would have lost almost 8 years worth of data!!

There hasn't been a formal study done (I don't trust the ones published by HD manufacturers) that anyone could call "truly comprehensive".

What qualifies as comprehensive?

A study collected from more than one hundred thousand disk drives, deployed in several types of systems. A combination of serial and parallel ATA consumer-grade hard disk drives, ranging
in speed from 5400 to 7200 rpm, and in size from 80 to 400 GB in an active production environment.

Who could do this better than Google. Read it and you'll be shocked! I've already started burning all my precious data onto DVDs.

Labs logo

http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

multi-screen mania!

CrossEngine: Seach Engine Mashup