Compression | 1 GB to 10 MB

Yes!! that's what the email, a colleague sent to me claimed. It had a link to this rather suspicious sounding application.

KGB Archiver

Call me a paranoid, but I did read my share of spy novels back in school. KGB, Mossad, CIA & MI6 they all were up to no good. I was pretty apprehensive installing it. What if it started sending my personal info to some twisted dude??? Anyways, I read some reviews, did a WOT check and decided to take the plunge.

Here's the run down on this app.

[readme_en.html says]
KGB Archiver
is the compression tool with unbelievable high compression rate. It surpasses even such efficient compression tool like 7zip and UHARC in terms of the abilities. Unfortunately although its powerful compression rate, it has high hardware requirements (I recommend processor with 1,5GHz clock and 256MB of RAM as an essential minimum). One of the advantages of KGB Archiver is also AES-256 encryption which is used to encrypt the archives. This is one of the strongest encryptions known for human.

Hardware requirements

Essential minimum
Processor 1.5 GHz (32-bit)
RAM 256 MB
Free disk space 4 MB
Operating system Windows NT/2000/XP/2003
Recommended
Processor 3.0 GHz (64-bit)
RAM 1.5 GB
Free disk space 4 MB
Operating system Windows XP x64 SP1/2003 x64 SP1



I did not have the time or patience to try compressing a 1 GB file. So I tried it on a 9.2 MB directory that I didn't mind losing.

Run 1 - Settings: Type: Zip | Compression: Max Available | Span: None > File size 7.2 MB (big deal!)

Run 2 - Settings: Type: Zip | Compression: Max Available | Span: Max > File size 7.2 MB (WTF!!)

Run 3 - Settings: Type: KGB | Compression: Max Available | Span: NA > Not enough RAM (whaaatt.. I have 512MB of the darn thing, and no heavy apps running)Run 4 - Settings: Type: KGB | Compression: Extreme | Span: NA > Not enough RAM (not happy)

Run 5 - Settings: Type: KGB | Compression: Very Good | Span: NA > Compression Starts (will take 1501264 mins to complete.. yeah right!)

Run 6 - Settings: Type: KGB | Compression: Normal | Span: NA > See results below!


The resulting .KGB archive was just 770 KB with almost a 92% compression ratio. Now that's WOW!!! Now, I plan to run it couple of nights and pack all these rarely used office docs into one tight little file.

Find this at : KGB Archiver homepage

NOD32:Next

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

multi-screen mania!

CrossEngine: Seach Engine Mashup